Guwahati: A professor of Assam Agricultural University (AAU) reportedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan of his office on Tuesday morning.
The deceased has been identified as Abhijit Sarma (50). He is survived by his wife, working at AAU, and a daughter. A suicide note was recovered from the body and investigation is underway.
On a complaint of mental torture of an MSc student for over a year by the professor, he was transferred to the Regional Agricultural Research Station (RARS), Titabor on Monday. The matter is under investigation.
According to reports, the AAU registrar said that the employee was found hanging from a ceiling fan around 8.30 am on Tuesday.
Jatin Choudhary, HoD, agronomy department at AAU, said that the professor was the guide for an MSc fourth semester girl. She had submitted a written complaint before him and the director of PG studies alleging mental harassment by Sarma for one and a half years. She also sought a change of Sarma as her guide.
Following this, Sarma asked a fellow colleague to take over his role as the girl’s adviser, and on Monday he was transferred, said reports.
- TMC’s public rally: Sec 144 imposed across West district, Tripura HC declines to interfere
- Two pilots killed after Army helicopter crash lands in J&K’s Udhampur
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 21
- COVID-19 vaccines effective for cancer patients? Here’s what a study says
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 21
- No interim relief to Abhishek Banerjee, his wife in money laundering case