Guwahati: Two more persons have tested positive for COVID-19 in Assam. The patients from Cachar travelled in the bus which ferried people from Rajasthan. With this, the total number of positive cases has reached 58.
Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma took to Twitter to announce the development.
“Alert ~ There are 2 more #COVID19 + patients who travelled in the bus which ferried people from Rajasthan. They’re from Cachar district.
North east arrowTotal #COVID19 patients in Assam 58
North east arrowActive cases 23
Update at 9.30 pm / May 8.”
The fresh cases have come just a few hours after Sarma announced that three persons who were on board the bus from Ajmer, Rajasthan to Cachar tested positive for coronavirus.
A bus carrying stranded passengers from Ajmer had entered the state on Wednesday following which, on screening, one person was tested positive, which was the 45th case of Assam. Subsequently, four other co-passengers also tested positive, followed by two more now. So far, 10 people travelling on that bus from Ajmer have tested positive for COVID-19.
Addressing a press meet earlier on Friday, the minister had said that so far, of all cases that have come forward, the 45th was the most viral.
Since many travellers of that bus were earlier sent for home quarantine, several villages/areas in Cachar district have been declared as containment zones. Up to 150 contacts have been detected so far.
- Nagaland Lottery September 18: Check Dear Kosai Morning lottery result
- World Bamboo Day: Assam and its bond with this versatile plant
- US court sets aside proposed Trump-era rule on H-1B visa selection
- Assam: Two militants of newly formed outfit killed in Kokrajhar
- Achieved all, never overstay welcome: Shastri gears up for end of tenure
- RN Ravi sworn-in as Governor of Tamil Nadu