Shillong: In an unprecedented development at Byrnihat area of Ri Bhoi district in Meghalaya, a driver of an Assam State Transport Corporation (ASTC) bus was allegedly thrashed by miscreants late on Friday evening.
According to the police, the bus with two drivers and a conductor was ferrying 16 passengers from ISBT, Guwahati to Silchar in Assam via Meghalaya when it came under attack from a mob at Byrnihat. The injured were admitted to a hospital and an FIR has been filed at Byrnihat Police Station, the police added.
According to Ri-Bhoi SP Chemphang Syrti, the police got the report of the incident at 11 pm on Friday. “The incident happened late in the night when a driver of the ASTC bus travelling to Silchar was thrashed by some people under the influence of alcohol. Only the driver was beaten. He received minor injuries,” said Syrti.
The Meghalaya police have registered a case in this regard. They have also been able to identify the suspects. The police will be able to make arrests in a day or so.
According to Syrti, there were allegations of three people being involved in the incident. An attempt was made to arrest the main suspect but he was not at home. The police will try and arrest him at the earliest, the SP added.
- JD(U) announces first candidate for Nagaland election
- Assam: Swaheed Krishak Diwas observed in Patharighat
- CPI(M) demands high-level probe against Adani Group
- This is how they waste precious time of SC: Rijiju on those moving court on BBC documentary
- Sikkim: Nepalese word not in petition, says association on ‘immigrant row’
- Human activity degraded over a third of remaining Amazon forest: Study