Guwahati: A recent disturbing viral video of some girls from northeast being attacked while bystanders merely watched in Goa had many people angry. They were allegedly physically attacked and racially abused. The Goa police took note of the incident after the National Commission for Women (NCW) mentioned it on Twitter, and have arrested the accused.
DGP Goa said that an FIR was filed regarding the matter at Porvorim Police Station after receiving a complaint from the victim, and the accused has been arrested. However, the DGP added that there is no allegation of racism made by the complainant.
According to a report by Meeteitoday.com, some girls from Northeast were attacked during there evening walk at a water reserve at the old market of Porvorim in Goa. It was also alleged that the local police threatened them and asked them not to file a complaint.
Subsequently, National Commission for Women took up the case and also tweeted. “NCW has come across a FB post wherein few northeast girls were brutally attacked, abused, by a lady & her daughters, living at Police Colony, Porvorim, Goa. Further alleged, Local Police did not file any Complaints, instead, threatened them to refrain 4m registering any Complaint.”
to this, DGP Goa replied, “Thank you for sharing your concern. An FIR has been regd in the matter at PS Porvorim on a complaint recd from the victim.Person accused has been placed under arrest. No allegation of racism has been made by the victim. Security of women is our priority!”
- Every rupee in my foundation awaiting its turn to save a life: Sonu Sood
- Assam’s star athlete Amlan Borgohain’s targets CWG, Asian Games next
- NNPGs ‘disturbed’ after Indian intel claims arms procured from Myanmar
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 20
- Tripura sounds African swine flu alert; Kanchanpur farm is epicenter
- Associated Press interview: UN chief warns China, US to avoid Cold War