Kohima: Following the leak of information containing personal details of stranded persons outside the state who registered on the iamstranded.nagaland.gov.in to avail of the monetary relief from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund (CMRF), the Nagaland government clarified that the source of leaking the information was not from the website.
A top official said that the leak may have happened during a verification process where the confidential information which was only shared with the point of contact for stranded persons outside the state, surfaced online.
Speaking with EastMojo, Shanavas C, principal director of school education, who is in charge of monitoring and coordination with other states, said “The leak [of information] is not from the website. In fact, no one will be able to see the file and only an admin will be able to access and extract the information, while an individual will only be able to submit details.”
He added that the confidential information might have leaked during a verification process when the lists of persons were sent to the respective points of contacts, such as unions, to cross-check if the registered persons are genuinely residing in the mentioned city. He then told EastMojo that the state government is now verifying information through phone calls to ensure that no information is further leaked.
Meanwhile, addressing a section of reporters at the secretariat on Thursday, Shanavas said that the information may have been leaked on social media by some point of contacts intentionally. He said that the cyber crime cell of the police is tracing the origin from where the information was leaked and will likely source it within a day or two.
The nodal officer explained that the lists of persons registered on the portal were sent to the point of contacts on grounds of confidentiality in order to verify the authenticity of the information provided — if the person is a resident of the city that it has claimed to be. He then revealed that two persons presently residing in Kohima have claimed to be stranded in Shillong and have registered to avail the monetary relief from the CMRF. Saying that an action will be initiated, he expressed that while there are people in genuine need, there are still some who are engaged in malpractices which demands stern action.
He recalled that the process of identifying stranded persons outside the state was done manually through his phone number that was announced by the chief minister during the first order and that the state government has been reaching out to the stranded persons through a point of contact. But with the announcement of the monetary package, stranded persons are required to register themselves where personal information such as name, present address, permanent address, bank account number, Aadhaar number, IFSC, as such are required.
“But just because you apply does not mean that you will receive it. The state government will verify the authenticity of the information and also see if there is a repetition and then directly deposit the amount,” he said.
He then added that on Wednesday a total of 870 persons were listed for payment and that on Thursday nearly 7,000 persons have been listed. He also revealed that the portal so far received nearly 10,000 applicants. “Our estimate of the people outside Nagaland is around 20,300 including 6000 students,” he said further adding that out of the total estimation, there may be persons who are able to sustain on their own and may not require relief from the government.
Meanwhile, an incident report dated April 22 on the COVID-19 dashboard said: “Data of stranded people who had submitted data in Iamstranded portal was compiled and sent to different organisations/unions in different states to verify the details and revert back. It is suspected that one of the office bearers leaked the data in social media.”
- ‘Nude video call’ sextortion emerging as major cybercrime in Nagaland
- Four-year-old Assamese boy seeks justice for murdered father
- Photos show N. Korea expanding uranium enrichment plant
- Porns film case: Kundra seeks bail citing ‘no evidence’ against him
- Meghalaya Chief Justice Biswanath Somadder to take charge of Sikkim HC
- Nagaland Lottery September 18: Check Dear Kosai Morning lottery result