Imphal: Fencing work has been intensified in Manipur along the international border with Myanmar amid the coronavirus scare besides heightening the vigil to check infiltration of infected persons to the state.
On Wednesday, Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh informed that since the situation in the neighbouring country has become alarming due to COVID-19 infections, more materials for fencing work for the porous border has been dispatched to Pakmual and Behiang in Churachandpur district.
The work has been carried out under the command of Churachandpur district SP Amrita Sinha, he said.
Around 100 police personnel along with IRBn jawans have been deployed for stepping up vigil along the border areas under the command of Churachandpur SDPO Bijoy Singh, CM Singh said.
The temporary fence was also constructed at Moreh town in Tengnoupal district on Indian side and Nanphalong market in Tamu town in Myanmar, as per reports.
Similarly, a temporary GI sheet has been put up at Phaikok and Skipe villages in Kamjong district, however, as per reports, the fence was allegedly pulled down by the Myanmarese Army.
The villagers have appealed the state government to seal the porous border completely to prevent any cross-border penetration.
Manipur shares about 510 km border with Myanmar. However, a large part of the border areas are unfenced and guarded by Assam Rifles round-the-clock.
The state government also plans to set up grocery kiosks along the border areas so that residents living near the international border will stop crossing the other side for essential items and prevent from contracting the virus, it said.
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal
- RN Ravi paved his own exit: NSCN-IM reminds new interlocutor
- Amazon Great Indian Festival 2021 dates announced. Check details
- All rural Nagaland households to get tap water by March 2023: Minister
- Assam Jobs: PMAY Urban Assam has 13 manager vacancies. Details here