Shillong: Residents of Jhalupara in Meghalaya capital Shillong gathered in the locality on Wednesday evening to stop the cremation of renowned doctor and director of Bethany Hospital, Dr John L Sailo Ryntathiang, who died after contracting novel coronavirus aka COVID-19 early on Wednesday.
Residents of Nongpoh in Ri Bhoi district also formed a resolution and decided to not allow the burial.
In a letter, the executive committee of Nongpoh Dorbar Shnong (Village Councils) said that a meeting was held after the son of late Dr Sailo sought permission to bury the body in the farmhouse of the doctor, which is in Nongpoh.
“After a meeting was held with the youths and the senior members, we have unanimously decided not to allow the burial of the body of Dr Sailo in Nongpoh, based on the following reasons: That the residents have panicked hearing the news, because the farmhouse is in between the village, that the doctor is not a permanent resident of Nongpoh and there has been no safety concerning such cases,” mentioned the letter.
Meanwhile, the administrators are working out with the locals of the resident in this regard.
- Nagaland observes World Tuberculosis Day
- TB to be eliminated by 2025: Manipur health minister Sapam Ranjan Singh
- India’s largest hydropower project to commence soon: Arunachal Dy CM
- Manipur: One PLA insurgent arrested in Bishnupur
- Does it matter what time I go to bed?
- Charred bodies of 3 Mizoram residents found inside Myanmar territory