Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the mosque is turning into a ‘hotbed’ for COVID-19 just like Nizamuddin Markaz in Delhi

Guwahati: After three people who spent a night at Athgaon Kabristan Masjid in Guwahati on March 12 tested positive for COVID-19, the mosque has been declared a ‘containment zone’, informed Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma during a media briefing on Friday.

The mosque will be sealed off for 14 days, and no person will be allowed to enter or exit the premises. Further, if there is any caretaker inside, then the district administration will take care of his food, said the health minister.

It is the second containment zone in Guwahati after Spanish Garden apartment in Zoo road, which was sealed after a resident had tested positive for the deadly virus earlier this month.

Addressing the media, Sarma said it was found that Rahiluddin who tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday had halted at the mosque on March 12. Also, 2 others — Jamaluddin Haji from Dhubri and another Jamauluddin — stayed there.

He said, the government was not informed about this earlier, but on March 12, “there was a congregation of around 100 people at Athgaon Kabaristan Masjid; it also included people from Nizamuddin Markaz.”

The mosque is turning into a hot-bed just like Nizamuddin Markaz added the health minister.

The government is working to gather details of the 100 people. So far, the mosque secretary has been able to provide the names of 58 people of whom eight attended the Tablighi Jamaat event at Nizamuddin Markaz in New Delhi last month. Two of them have already tested positive. Meanwhile, another person, who didn’t attend Tablighi Jamaat, but stayed with the attendees also tested positive for the virus.



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment