New Delhi: Jack Dorsey, the CEO of social media giant Twitter and digital payments platform Square, on Tuesday pledged $1 billion to fund relief efforts towards fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
The donation makes it the largest amount pledged by a private individual in the fight against the deadly pandemic.
“I’m moving $1B of my Square equity (~28% of my wealth) to #startsmall LLC to fund global COVID-19 relief. After we disarm this pandemic, the focus will shift to girl’s health and education, and UBI. It will operate transparently, all flows tracked here,” Dorsey wrote on Twitter.
The Twitter CEO will pull the amount from his start-up Square as he owns a majority of the company as compared to his stake in Twitter.
- Greenhouse gas methane cools our planet even as it heats: Study
- Nagaland govt not prepared to fight people: CM on ULB polls
- Faith and superstition: A journey via the eyes of the poor in Panisokori
- Why bioplastics won’t solve our plastic problems
- Increased maternal education in India linked with lower under-five deaths: Study
- Meghalaya: Wildlife dept to probe death of barking deer in Tura