Imphal: Former Manipur deputy chief minister Dr Leishangthem Chandramani Singh passed away late on Saturday night at Raj Medicity in Imphal. He was 86.
Chief minister N Biren Singh took to his Twitter handle on Sunday and wrote, “Saddened by the sudden demise of former Dy CM of Manipur and veteran politician Dr L Chandramani Singh.”
It is a great loss to the state and the nation, he added.
As per reports, the veteran Congress leader died due to a stroke.
During his political career since 1972, Singh served twice as deputy chief minister under W Nipamacha’s government. He was also the Speaker of the state Legislative Assembly and a minister, reports added.
Before joining Congress, Singh also served as president of Manipur People’s Party (MNP), one of the oldest regional political parties of the state.
A resident of Patsoi in Imphal West, the veteran political leader also authored three books. From 1972 to 1984, Singh was elected consecutively as member of Manipur Legislative Assembly from Patsoi constituency.
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle
- Mizoram: 808 grams of Heroin seized, one arrested