Aizawl: At least 338 prisoners were released on parole by the Mizoram government on Friday, an official statement said.
The statement issued by the department of information and public relations said that the move was taken according to the decision of high-powered committee headed by Gauhati High Court judge Michael Zothankhuma, which was formed on the Supreme Court’s directive.
The government released 48 convicts and 290 undertrial prisoners — altogether 338 — from various jails across the state by granting them remission, the statement said.
All deputy commissioners and superintendent of police of respective districts were instructed to drop the released prisoners to their homes.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art