Aizawl: At least 338 prisoners were released on parole by the Mizoram government on Friday, an official statement said.
The statement issued by the department of information and public relations said that the move was taken according to the decision of high-powered committee headed by Gauhati High Court judge Michael Zothankhuma, which was formed on the Supreme Court’s directive.
The government released 48 convicts and 290 undertrial prisoners — altogether 338 — from various jails across the state by granting them remission, the statement said.
All deputy commissioners and superintendent of police of respective districts were instructed to drop the released prisoners to their homes.
- Empowering older workers amid an ageing workforce
- Assam Cong announces state-wide agitation from Oct 3 against power tariff hike
- Tripura HC stays Trial Court ruling against WhatsApp
- Is it normal to forget words while speaking? And when can it spell a problem?
- How to effectively manage methane emissions from Indian landfills
- Should people who are forced to cross borders due to climate change be recognised as refugees?