Shillong: The Meghalaya government on Friday entrusted the department of commerce & industries to produce double-layered reusable cotton masks locally with the help of SHGs and NGOs. All tailoring units under the department have been mobilised to produce 3 lakh masks by April 10 and will continue to produce more to meet the requirements of the state.
Orders have been placed to procure 10 lakh masks within a 10-day period from outside the state to ensure availability to all.
The members of the medical expert committee constituted by the government of Meghalaya held a meeting with the chief secretary relating to the use of masks as a necessary preventive mechanism to fight COVID-19 pandemic.
The members deliberated upon the WHO recommendations on the effectiveness of the use of masks in preventing community spread. The members emphasised that the mask can be effective only if it is followed along with hand hygiene by using hand sanitisers or soaps and also maintaining social distancing. Touching of the front end of the masks should be avoided to prevent any contamination.
The committee also decided to give wide publicity on this based on the advisory given by the principal scientific advisor to the government of India. It was also decided to advise that the general public can actually stitch their own two-layered masks at home, made of cotton. It is to be ensured that the mask covers nose, mouth and chin areas of the face. The manual for stitching and effective usage is available on www.psa.gov.in and the ministry of health and family welfare website.
The government of Meghalaya advises all citizens to use mask in public places and follow hand hygiene, cough etiquette and social distancing protocols as advised earlier.
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 18
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 18
- BJP names Sonowal, Murugan as its candidates for Rajya Sabha bypolls
- India records 35,662 COVID-19 cases, 281 deaths
- Davis Cup: Prajnesh, Ramkumar lose on Day 1, India trail 0-2 against Finland
- Mizoram U-19 head coach Murtaza Lodhgar dies of heart attack in Vizag