Guwahati: Assam reported its first COVID-19 case on Tuesday, taking the total to three in Northeast India.
Confirming the same, Assam health minister tweeted, “A 52-year-old person has been found positive for #Coronavirua and is Assam’s first #Covid19 patient. He is undergoing treatment at Silchar Medical College. His condition is stable.”
So far, there is no additional information if the man had a travel history, but the minister said that the government is doing the needful.
Interacting with a news channel, Sarma said that they have been monitoring the case since Monday, but waited for the final report from NIV Pune for making it official. The patient first showed symptoms for the virus on March 18.
The state is currently following the standard operating procedure of tracing the contacts. Official details of the case will be given on Wednesday.
This is a developing story. More details are awaited.
- Assam: Fleeing robber injured in police firing, drug peddlers escape
- Assam govt to preserve heritage of Dimasa Kachari kingdom: CM
- Sikkim registers 62 new COVID-19 cases
- Assam registers 259 new COVID-19 cases, seven more deaths
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab