New Bongaigaon: Early on Saturday morning, locals in New Bongaigaon area violated the ongoing lockdown by gathering at Bhaulaguri Boudi Bazaar. When police tried to shut down the market, they were pelted with stones.
In defence, Assam Police personnel resorted to lathi-charge and fired four rounds in the air to disperse the mob.
This comes after Assam government ordered the closure of all market areas except grocery and pharmacies on Friday. The decision was prompted after huge crowds visited markets across the state violating the lockdown norms.
According to reports, superintendent of police (SP) RS Milli said, “When policemen asked shopkeepers to shut the market, some locals attacked them. Four arrested & case registered”.
Four youths identified as Afzal Sheikh, Taimuddin Ali, Asmat Ali, Bahrul Islam have been arrested. Police are investigating the matter.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art