New Delhi: The US has more confirmed cases of the coronavirus than any country in the world, surpassing China where the pandemic began, says a new Johns Hopkins University report.
China’s coronavirus case count is sitting at around 81,700, while Italy is around 80,500. There have been over 1,300 COVID-19 deaths in the US. By comparison, however, there have been around 8,200 fatalities in Italy; 4,100 in Spain; 3,300 in China; 2,200 in Iran and 1,700 in France.
According to the report, there are now more than 85,000 cases in America and nearly 1,300 deaths. Almost 3.3 million people filed for unemployment last week as the virus shuttered businesses and halted normal life across large swaths of the country. The record-shattering number claims was nearly five times larger than the previous weekly record set in 1982.
Early on Thursday, the Senate passed a sweeping, historic $2 trillion relief package to help workers, businesses and the severely strained health care system survive the pandemic.
According to media reports, US President Trump tweeted early on Friday that he spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the coronavirus.
Trump wrote, “Just finished a very good conversation with President Xi of China. Discussed in great detail the CoronaVirus that is ravaging large parts of our Planet. China has been through much & has developed a strong understanding of the Virus. We are working closely together. Much respect!”
Chinese State TV said Xi told Trump that Beijing is willing to work with all parties on stopping the disease’s spread, including the US, according to the Reuters news service.
- Assam reports six more fatalities, 441 new COVID cases
- Zee Entertainment, Sony India to merge; Punit Goenka to lead
- Assam: ‘Cattle smuggler’ killed, BSF jawan hurt in gunfight along Indo-Bangla border
- WHO chief thanks India for decision to resume COVID-19 vaccine export
- Biomedical waste disposal: This Assam entrepreneur does it with tact, science
- BJP will rebuild temples, demolished to construct mosques: Sangeet Som