Agartala: The 23-year-old Manipur girl, who tested positive of COVID-19 in Imphal on Tuesday, has been found to have traveled from Kolkata to Manipur via Agartala Airport in Tripura.

Speaking with EastMojo, the PRO of Airports Authority of India (AAI) confirmed the news. “The girl, who tested positive in Imphal, had traveled via Agartala and was seated in the 23rd row. A passenger, who was seated beside her, landed at Agartala Airport,” the PRO said.

He also said that the girl did not deboard at Agartala Airport but the co-passengers who were sitting beside her were from Agartala and there are some chances of them being infected with the virus.

“We have sent the list of passengers with their details and contact numbers who had boarded the flight to Agartala and Imphal. The state government will now take the required measures to test the co-passengers,” the PRO added.

When contacted, Dr Deep Debbarma, health department’s nodal officer in charge of COVID-19, said that a meeting is being chaired by the chief minister and the department has received the details of the passengers.

Earlier, Manipur health director K Rajo Singh said that the 23-yr-old girl returning from UK had tested positive for COVID-19. However, her blood sample was sent to NIV Pune for nucleic acid test.

This made it the first case of the deadly virus in Northeast India so far.

As per reports, the girl, who is a resident of Imphal West, had returned from London on March 19 to New Delhi and took an AirAsia flight to reach Manipur on March 21. The girl is under care and treatment at the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences (JNIMS) isolation ward, he added.

The serological test was done at JNIMS and the result tested positive. However, as per reports, her blood sample has been sent to the National Institute of Virology (NIV) Pune for nucleic acid test.

The report also said that the girl and her younger brother who had also arrived from Atlanta, US, met at Kolkata and stayed in a hotel before heading for Manipur. As per reports, her brother has tested negative for the virus.

Sources informed that the girl with high fever was admitted at JNIMS on March 23.

Soon after the confirmation reports, the family members of the girl have been put under isolation.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment