New Delhi: A day after US President Donald Trump tweeted about ‘chloroquine’, an anti-malaria drug, as an effective treatment for curing coronavirus, an Arizona man died while his wife remains in critical condition after consuming chloroquine phosphate on Sunday.
The 60-year-old man and his wife were admitted to Banner Health Hospital after the ingestion of chloroquine phosphate, which is typically used to clean fish tanks. The wife is in critical condition.
According to reports, the couple, who according to officials at Banner Health, a hospital system based in Phoenix, were in their 60s and were from Maricopa County, quickly experienced side effects that included nausea and vomiting. They were not tested for coronavirus.
The man died from cardiac arrest and his wife was initially listed in critical condition but has been upgraded to stable condition on Monday and was also expected to make a full recovery.