Guwahati: Amid growing coronavirus scare, the Kamakhya temple management committee on Thursday decided to close the shrine for public from Friday till further notice.
Speaking with EastMojo, temple Doloi (head of the temple management committee) Kabindra Prasad Sarma said, “The decision was taken at an emergency meeting held today evening. The decision was taken as a preventive measure. We did take a lot of measures like setting up a health camp and use of sanitisers to ensure safety of every visitor but we finally decided to close the shrine and not take any chances.”
The number of devotees and tourists visiting the Kamakhya temple located in Guwahati, Assam had already fallen to less than 500 a day from over 5,000 a day earlier — a drop of almost 90%.
Several places of worship including the SiddhiVinayak temple of Mumbai and the Tirudmala Tirupati Balaji temple too has been shut for devotees as a precautionary measure to control the spread of coronavirus. has been shut as a precautionary measure against the deadly virus.
- Girish And The Chronicles signs with Italian label Frontiers Music
- Backdoor entry in colleges should stop: Delhi High Court
- Fresh COVID-19 cases outnumber recoveries in Nagaland after 9 days
- Assam: Rs 116 crore approved for building mini sec. in Barak Valley
- Assam reports 365 new COVID cases, two more fatalities
- Active cases dip below 1 pc of Arunachal’s COVID-19 tally