Guwahati: After 17 long years, Guwahati Press Club (GPC) on Thursday finally elected a new committee, with Manoj Nath, a senior journalist and news editor of Assamese daily Niyomiya Barta, as its new president.
Dhaniram Kalita, senior photojournalist from Asomiya Pratidin, won the post of vice-president while Mousumi Sarma Baruah of News 18 Assam & Northeast bagged the seat reserved for women — vice-president.
Senior staff reporter of The Assam Tribune Sanjoy Ray has been elected as the general secretary. Journalists Manindra Dekha and Manisha Kalita won the seats for assistant general secretary (AGS) and AGS (women), respectively.
Raju Baruah of News 18 Assam & Northeast bagged the post of organising secretary, and Nayan Pratim Kumar, political editor of Pratidin Times, won the treasurer’s post.
The new cultural secreatary of GPC is Pallabi Bora of Prag News, and Dhiraj Hazarika won the post of sports secretary.
The much anticipated GPC elections were held on Thursday with a huge turnout of club members.
A total of 36 candidates, including eight women, were in the fray for 10 posts, of which two were reserved for women.
- Sikkim’s Bkey Agarwal finishes second in Nepal’s Comedy Champion
- Watch: BTS live at the United Nations General Assembly
- Manipur super cop Thounaojam Brinda to contest elections from Yaiskul
- Jharkhand man beats wife to death over delay in serving dinner
- India, Nepal begin 15-day military exercise in Pithoragarh
- Delhi doctors report rise in post-Covid heart ailments