Imphal: Iningthou Leishemba Sanajaoba, the titular king of Manipur, is all set to contest the ensuing Rajya Sabha elections on a ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ticket for the lone seat in the state, said reports.
Sanajaoba’s name was included in the list of nine candidates of BJP for the upcoming elections released by the central election committee (CEC) on Wednesday.
At present, BJP state president Kshetrimayum Bhabananda is the seating member of the Upper House from Manipur, whose term is due to expire on April 9 this year.
However, as per reports, despite his name being in the list of nominees of the party for the ensuing elections, the titular king is yet to register himself as a member of the saffron party.
Sanajaoba is well known for his cultural activities and has a huge follower base in the state.
During Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s election rally in the state in 2017, the titular king was photographed sharing the platform together.
The Rajya Sabha elections are scheduled to be held on March 26. The last date for filing nominations for the election is March 13. Scrutiny of candidates will take place on March 16, while the last date for withdrawal of candidature is March 18.
So far, the Congress party in the state is yet to announce their candidate for the RS elections.
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
- NASA’s image of the ‘Hand of God’ in space has netizens baffled
- Meghalaya: Dr. Nalin Mehta is new NEIGRIHMS director
- Netflix: Coming of age series ‘Sex Education’ renewed for Season 4
- Boxing legend Mike Tyson to make Bollywood debut with ‘Liger’
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 27