Aizawl: Acting on the false details published on social media regarding Coronavirus/COVID-19, the Mizoram police have arrested 11 people in this connection.
On Tuesday, a recorded voice call was widely circulated on social media in Mizoram in which a man pretended to call up the helpline number of health department for Coronavirus/COVID-19 in the state.
In the call, the man reported that a certain woman, who had come back from Singapore and currently residing at ITI locality in Aizawl, had contracted the virus. It was also said that she was taken to the State Referral Hospital at 3 pm on the said day.
The fake phone call was forwarded on various WhatsApp groups and created chaos and fear among people.
The Mizoram police then started tracing the incident, first identifying who the woman was. After thorough investigation, it was found that the woman, aged 31 years, went to Singapore on October 14, 2019 and had returned to the country on March 3, 2020.
She had also gone through screening for Coronavirus/ COVID-19 at Kolkata and Lengpui Airports and had been given clearance that she does not have any symptoms of the deadly virus.
The Mizoram Police had issued a statement regarding the incident and had advised people not to create such havoc. The arrested 11 members have been arrested under chief judicial cognizance and the police are still tracing for any additional members involved in creating false phone calls and disseminating such false incidents.
- Men don’t see mess like women do: How to make housework more equal
- Webb detects smallest main belt asteroid by chance: NASA
- Ultra-processed foods linked to increased cancer risk: Study
- Former Manipur footballers excited for tri-nation meet in Imphal
- How Nepalis’ love of momo threatens endangered wild water buffaloes
- No more holding my pee: LGBTQIA+ campaign in Assam seeks safe toilets