Tinsukia: Two persons have been arrested on charges of drug peddling from Boiragimath area in Assam’s Dibrugarh town by police.
The accused have been identified as Nitu Das, a resident of Banipur Dhekeri gaon in Dibrugarh district, and Chandra Kanta Patel, a resident of Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh.
The development comes on the backdrop of a massive crackdown launched by Dibrugarh police against drug dealers and peddlers.
Accordingly to police sources, based on an input police had set up a naka checking at Boiragimath. “During checking, a two wheeler was intercepted and upon checking the police recovered 850 grams of brown sugar from their possession.”
“The duo has been arrested under NDPS act,” the sources added.
In January this year, in one of the largest drug haul in recent times in Upper Assam, Dibrugarh police seized over 1 kg of cocaine valued at Rs 1 crore in the international market and arrested three persons.
- Bengaluru FC beat gritty Army Green 3-2 to enter Durand Cup semifinals
- Assam claims PFI behind police-peasant conflict in Sipajhar
- Arunachal will benefit most from oil palm cultivation: Khandu
- Legislature needs to revisit laws to suit ‘practical realities’: CJI
- Cong questions Shah’s silence over Assam border row, Sipajhar
- Under Taliban, thriving Afghan music scene heads to silence