Shillong: Stray incidents of violence continue to be reported from parts of Meghalaya for the third consecutive day. Close on the heels of two persons being killed at Ichamati and Bara Bazar areas of Shella and Shillong on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, respectively, another man was beaten to death in Pyrkan area of East Khasi Hills district late on Saturday night.
With this, the death toll has risen to three since clashes first began between two groups at Ichamati under Shella constituency on Friday afternoon
As per reports, the police were informed of the latest incident at 2.45 in the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday.
Meanwhile, security arrangements have been intensified in several parts of the state as curfew was re-imposed at Lumdienjiri & Sadar areas of Shillong on Sunday. Eight companies of central armed police forces (CAPF) have already been deployed to control the prevailing law-and-order situation, said reports.
Meanwhile, Internet services remain suspended in six districts of Meghalaya — East Jaintia Hills, West Jaintia Hills, East Khasi Hills, Ri Bhoi, West Khasi Hills and South West Khasi Hills districts — since 10 pm on Friday. SMS services of all mobile service providers also remain hit, being limited to only five SMS per day, a circular issued by the secretary to the government of Meghalaya, home (political) department said.
- COVID-19 impact: EC’s ban on physical rallies hits charter flights
- ULFA (I) refrains from calling bandh on Republic Day
- RDay parade: Army marching contingents to display evolution of uniforms, rifles
- College teacher in Meghalaya completes 40,000 kms on bicycle trips in 6 years
- Taliban says bombers target minivan in Afghanistan, 7 dead
- Meghalaya couple on hunger strike to protest ‘atrocities against non-tribals’