Guwahati: Accusing the Centre of interfering in judiciary functions over the transfer of Delhi High Court’s Justice S Muralidhar, former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said that “it amounts to undeclared emergency”.
Justice Muralidhar who heard petitions on Delhi violence had slammed Delhi Police over the continuous violence. He has been transferred to the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Gogoi said, “This Modi government has not allowed judiciary to function independently which is dangerous to the democracy of the country. It is our constitution which provides the independence of judiciary. Independence of judiciary is the key, without which democracy will be at peril.”
The incumbent MLA from Titabor said, “Today, the whole country facing a great challenge coming from the present ruler who wants to impose their rule, their philosophy against the wishes of the vast majority of the people.” He added that they are the mandate, but it doesn’t mean 100% people support them. They got 40% support, and even if they had 60-70% support, it doesn’t mean that they can impose their will on the remaining 30%.
Further, he said that union law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has become a stooge of the Prime Minister. He said, “It is his [Ravi Shankar] responsibility to explain to the PM about the real value of our constitution and all the provision of the constitution. Instead of protecting the constitution, defending the independence of the judiciary, he is now played at the hands of the prime minister.”
Commenting on Delhi violence, the veteran Congress leader said that law and order of Delhi rests with the Centre, and despite all the intelligence, and paramilitary forces in the capital over 25 people died during the violence, which shows that the government has failed to discharge its constitutional duty of maintaining law and order to provide security to the people.
He said that irrespective of political affiliations, anybody inciting violence or making hate speech should be booked.
- COVID in schools: How ventilation can help to combat spread of the virus
- Indo-Nepal joint military training exercise in Pithoragarh from Monday
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case
- Central govt very keen towards welfare of Kashmiri migrants: Sonowal