Shillong: Meghalaya NPP president WR Kharlukhi on Wednesday said that he would be interested to contest the lone Rajya Sabha seat provided his party so decides.
While addressing the media, Kharlukhi informed that the party has not yet decided on the candidate. He also cleared all speculations concerning his candidature and said that earlier he was not interested but after meeting with other leaders, he is now open to the idea.
When asked if he was okay with Prestone Tynsong showing interest to contest the Rajya Sabha seat, he said that he had no issue and was happy with whatever the party decides.
As per sources, it has been agreed upon that among the MDA coalition, NPP will get to set up a candidate for the Rajya Sabha seat. Asked about the agreement Kharlukhi avoided to make any comment and said that the agreement must be among the top leadership.
The election to the lone Rajya Sabha seat in Meghalaya will be held alongside 54 others that are to get vacant across 17 states in the country on March 26. The term of the current Rajya Sabha Congress MP, Wansuk Syiem, will end on April 12.
- PM Modi turns 71: Here’s how Nagaland celebrated
- Leaders of Lanka, Nepal wish PM Modi on his 71st birthday
- Daily COVID-19 vaccination crosses 1-crore mark for the fourth time
- India’s 61st Software Technology park centre opened in Nagaland
- How 35 people in Assam’s Udalguri came together to create a man-made forest
- Mizoram extends COVID-19 restrictions amid grim situation