Tinsukia: A five-year-old girl, who runs 15 km every day, has grabbed the attention of Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
Gitanjali Baruah, daughter of a daily-wage earner from Jorhat, runs from Moubandha HS playground to Baruah Chariali in the town every day with her father, covering a distance of 15 km approximately.
On February 20, CM Sonowal tweeted: “Assam is brimming with many hidden talents. And 5-year old Gitanjali Barua from Jorhat, who runs 15 km daily is another reiteration of the same. Heartening to know about her story. Assam Govt will do everything to realise her aspirations of being an athlete. Best wishes.”
According to sources, every Sunday, the father-daughter duo start their run at 4.30 am, as informed by her parents. “On weekdays, she practises at Moubandha HS playground.”
Gitanjali is a student of Class I.
Her father has a dream to make her a world-class athlete,” the source said, adding, “However, he and his family are financially weak to provide her necessary facilities. As a result, she is not getting proper systematic and scientific sports training at present.”
Attempts to speak to her father Monti Baruah turned futile.
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity