Agartala: A magistrate’s court on Friday sent a man accused of raping and killing a six-year-old girl in Tripura’s Gomati district to four-day police custody till Monday, said public prosecutor Paltu Das.
Speaking with EastMojo, Das said that the magistrate’s court heard the case since the special court was closed on Friday. After hearing the prayer of the investigating officer, the court sent the 30-year-old accused to police custody till the next working day.
The police had filed a prayer seeking six days’ police remand and objecting the bail of the accused person.
“The magistrate court cannot consider the prayer made by the police, so the accused was sent to custody till the next working day. The special court will consider the prayer of the police on Monday,” Das added.
Speaking with EastMojo, Raju Reang, Karbook subdivisional officer, said that the man was accused of rape and murder of the 6-year-old on Wednesday.
“The father of the deceased filed an FIR in the police station. We arrested him on Thursday and produced him in the magistrate court in Udaipur, Gomati district with a prayer of six days’ police custody,” Reang said.
The accused was booked under Sections 363, 376 (a), 302 and 201 of the Indian Penal code (IPC) and the POCSO Act under charges of abducting, rape, murder and tampering of evidence.
- Rescuers try to raise buried coach at triple rail crash site as death toll is 261
- Not on my watch: How boxer Sarita Devi saved her Kuki students from the mob
- Nagaland: State round table of NE global investors summit ’23 held
- Assam’s Jaramkhuria to be converted into zero-waste village
- COVID-19: India records 237 new cases, active caseload declines to 3,502
- Indian American Ajay Banga takes over as World Bank President