Guwahati: Shaheen Bagh protests’ one of the main accused, Sharjeel Imam, who called for Assam to be cut off from the rest of the country, will be produced in Gauhati High Court on Thursday.
Commissioner of Police, Guwahati Munna Prasad Gupta told EastMojo that a team has been dispatched for Tihar Jail in New Delhi for bringing Imam to Guwahati. He is expected to arrive in the city at around 3 pm on Thursday.
Earlier in January, a video of Imam surfaced online where he was heard saying, “We can cut off Northeast from India, if not permanently, then at least for a few months.”
Also Read: Shaheen Bagh hate speech: Assam files case against Sharjeel Imam
Further, he spoke on the state of Muslims in Assam. He said, now that CAA has been implemented in Assam, people are being put in detention camps.
Responding to this, Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma informed during a press conference that the state has filed an FIR against Imam for his seditious and divisive statement at Shaheen Bagh.
Also, according to reports, Delhi Police filed a chargesheet on the December 15 violence which took place in Jamia Milia Islamia where Imam was chargesheet as an “instigator”.
- Fast X review: proof that there’s method in madness of the franchise
- More looted arms recovered in violence-hit Manipur
- Assam: 3F Oil Palm collaborates with state govt for ceremonial plantation
- Naga club vandalism: Angamis urges NSF to withdraw FIR
- 57 arms, 318 ammunition, 5 bombs recovered in strife-torn Manipur
- 15 construction workers killed in vehicle collision in Bangladesh