Tinsukia: Altogether six persons, including two women and three minors, died in a road mishap that took place on National Highway 52, between Chongkham and Namsai, in Arunachal Pradesh on Tuesday evening.
The deceased have been identified as Mongla Kharia (38), Reena Kharia (35), Lukhi Mura (28), Babita Mura (6), Saman Kharia (4) and Junali Kharia (1).
According to a source in Arunachal Pradesh police, the incident happened after a speeding Hyundai Santro car, bearing Assam registration plate, hit a Tata DI commercial vehicle parked on the roadside near Habi village under Namsai police station. “The vehicle was packed with 12 passengers, including th driver,” the source said.
“Two women, seated in the front, and two minor children died on the spot while another man died in Namsai district hospital. An infant died while on way to Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) in Assam’s Dibrugarh district,” the source said, adding, “Five persons have been injured and taken to district hospital in Namsai from where some of them were referred to AMCH. “The driver of the car, Babul Mura, has reportedly fled.”
The source said that the victims of the road accident, all residents of Wingko village, were returning from a marriage function when the accident took place.
A police case has been registered at Namsai police station under section 279/304(A)/337/338 of the IPC and a hunt has been launched to nab the driver.
There has been report of another minor having died while on way to referred hospital, a source said. However, there is no official confirmation on it.
- Arunachal: Traffic wardens call for protest on August 9
- International Beer Day: Lesser-known Indian beers you should try!
- MP govt announces Rs 1 cr reward for Hockey players Vivek Sagar, Nilakanta Sharma
- Ready to cook and bake with beer? Here are some of our favourite recipes
- Watch: Meghalaya children fall sick after eating ice cream
- Develop ALGs to start fixed-wing flight services in Arunachal: CM to Centre