New Delhi: Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar being carried on the shoulders of his teammates following team India’s win at world cup 2011 was voted as Laureus best sporting moment in past 20 years at the Laureus World Sports Awards in Berlin on Monday.
The Laureus World Sports Awards established in 1999 are an annual award ceremony honouring individuals and teams from the world of sports along with sporting achievements throughout the year.
The Best Sporting Moment Award was inaugurated in 2017 and is voted for by the public. Tendulkar emerged as the winner in the category with the maximum number of votes.
The cricketer, whose career expanded for over two decades lifted the World Cup trophy for India during his sixth and last World Cup.
In the celebratory moment of the win, team India rushed to the ground and lifted Tendulkar on their shoulders and took a lap of honour. This was the moment which struck the chords of millions of cricket worshipping Indians.
Tendulkar, in his award acceptance speech, said that the feeling was exceptional. He added, “How many times you get an event happening where there are no mixed opinions. Very rarely the entire country celebrates.”
He said this is the power that sports have in our lives. It can unify one and all.
On Twitter, he wrote: “ Thank you all for the overwhelming love and support! I dedicate this @LaureusSport award to India , all my teammates, fans and well wishers in India and across the world who have always supported Indian cricket.”
- Independent committee to probe ‘rice scam’: Meghalaya govt
- Boundary row: Mizoram Youth Congress seeks President’s intervention
- The Optics of India’s ‘Chinky’ medalists at the Olympics
- Heartbreak as Indian women crash out of Olympic hockey final race
- China seals city as its worst COVID-19 outbreak in a year grows
- Meghalaya-Assam border row: ‘Give & take’ policy not acceptable, says Cong MLA