Kokrajhar: Security forces apprehended a Bangladesh-trained militant of Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) from Basugaon in Assam’s Chirang district on Sunday evening.
According to the police, based on specific intelligence about the movement of the rebel in Basugaon area of Chirang district near the National Highway, a joint operation was launched by Army and the police in which the security forces team apprehended the accused.
The arrested rebel has been identified as Chitra Barman, a KLO militant who was trained at a training camp in Bangladesh.
Sophisticated weapons including a US-made pistol and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
The operation was a result of swift action and coordinated efforts of the security forces.
“This is a major setback to the militant group and has dealt a severe blow to the efforts in extortion and weapon dealing in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts. The operation will go a long way in enhancing the safety of the civilians and will weaken the backbone of the dreaded organisation,” said a senior police officer.
- IndiGo starts operating flights on Imphal-Shillong route
- Mizoram churches condole death of Assam Police personnel in border clash
- Won’t allow illegal coke factories in East Jaintia Hills: MLA Kyrmen Shylla
- Independent committee to probe ‘rice scam’: Meghalaya govt
- Boundary row: Mizoram Youth Congress seeks President’s intervention
- The Optics of India’s ‘Chinky’ medalists at the Olympics