Pune: The North Eastern Warriors (NEW) has made it to the semi- final of the Premier Badminton League (PBL), one of the top badminton leagues in the country.
PBL’s playing field features the top Indian and international badminton talent in the world, including Olympic and world championship medal winners. Besides showcasing the best of international and Indian talent, the tournament has also been successful in widening the base of badminton among the masses.
NEW is the only team from the Northeast to represent the region in the coveted league which has a total of seven teams from across the nation competing for the top spot.
NEW is also presently on top of the points table with 22 points while Chennai Superstarz with similar points are second with the former having won more matches than the latter.
With team captain and former world number one from Kore, Lee Yong Dae leading the team, the NEW also has top shutters like Kim Ha-na (former mixed doubles world no. 1), Lee Cheuk Yiu (world no. 18 from Hong Kong), Tanongsak Seansomboonsuk (world no. 39 from Thailand), Michelle Li (world no 8 from Canada) and Indian shuttlers like Krishna Garag, Rutaparna Panda and Kaushal Dharmamer.
Assam’s Ashmita Chaliha, who is at present world no 81, is also in the team. Laa Talar and Meiraba Luwang from Arunachal and Manipur respectively had also represented the NEW in the 2018 edition of the PBL.
The NEW would play the semi-final on Friday, though its opponent would be decided via a draw between the top four.
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP
- ‘Immigrant’ Row: Sikkim CM’s effigies burnt, SDF calls for shutdown
- Fee payment delay: Gauhati HC sets aside notice declaring students ‘non-collegiate’
- Tripura Polls: Union Minister Pratima Bhoumik holds campaign in Dhanpur