Guwahati: Former world champion Mirabai Chanu on Tuesday bettered her own national record by 2 kg as she lifted a total of 203 kg to win the 49 kg gold in the National Weightlifting Championships in Kolkata.
The 25-year-old Manipuri weightlifter lifted 87 kg in her second attempt and 115 kg in clean and jerk for a total of 203 kg.
Tuesday’s effort has put her in fourth place in world rankings behind Chinese Jiang Huihua (212kg) and Hou Zhihui (211kg) and Korean Ri Song Gum (209kg).
Mirabai’s previous best of 201 kg had come at the World Championship in Thailand in September last year, where she had finished fourth.
- Nagaland Assembly resolves to settle border issue with Assam outside Court
- How feasible is it to demarcate Assam-Mizoram border using space tech?
- John Abraham announced as the brand ambassador for MotoGP India
- Nagaland: Paediatric Task Force set up to prepare for COVID-19 third wave
- Arunachal: Traffic wardens call for protest on August 9
- International Beer Day: Lesser-known Indian beers you should try!