New Delhi: On the eve of the 71st Republic Day, it was announced that ace boxer MC Mary Kom will be conferred with Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award of India — second only to Bharat Ratna.
She’s among eight sports persons named for the prestigious honours on Saturday. World champion badminton star PV Sindhu will be bestowed with Padma Bhushan, as per an announcement made by the Centre on the eve of Republic Day.
The 36-year-old Mary Kom, also a Rajya Sabha MP, won a bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics while also being crowned as world champion six times in an illustrious career.
The 24-year-old Sindhu is a silver medallist at the 2016 Rio Olympics and is also the only Indian world champion in badminton.
Sindhu has also won four other World Championships medals — 2 silver and 2 bronze — besides the gold she won in 2019.
Meanwhile, the other six sportspersons who were named for Padma Shri are cricketer Zaheer Khan, current Indian women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal, former Indian men”s hockey player M P Ganesh, shooter Jitu Rai, former Indian women”s football team captain Oinam Bembem Devi and archer Tarundeep Rai.
Mary Kom, who hails from Manipur, was awarded the Padma Shri in 2006 and Padma Bhushan in 2013.
- NASA’s image of the ‘Hand of God’ in space has netizens baffled
- Meghalaya: Dr. Nalin Mehta is new NEIGRIHMS director
- Netflix: Coming of age series ‘Sex Education’ renewed for Season 4
- Boxing legend Mike Tyson to make Bollywood debut with ‘Liger’
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 27
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 27