Agartala: Following a letter issued by six insurgent groups from Northeast calling for boycott of Republic Day and a complete shutdown in the region on that day, the Tripura police have sounded an alert in all district headquarters ahead of the 71st Republic Day celebration on Sunday.
The letter received by EastMojo read: “The so-called republican constitution of India fails to actually entitle the peoples of this region to republican liberty. Indian rule in our region is theoretically republican, but in reality, deep-rooted oppression of the indigenous is prevalent, which is quite contradictory to republicanism.”
The letter was signed by six insurgent groups — Tripura’s National Liberation Front of Twipra (NLFT), Assam’s Kamtapur Liberation Organization (KLO) and Peoples’ Democratic Council of Karbi Longri (PDCK), Meghalaya’s Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), Manipur’s Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL) and Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP).
“…we resolve to call a total shutdown in the entire WESEA region from 6 am to 6 pm of the 26th January 2020 in order to stop or to hinder such ritual celebrations in our region. We exhort our beloved people to shun such celebrations orchestrated to legitimize foreign rule over us. Religious activities and emergency services are exempted,” the statement further read.
A number of Tripura police and TSR jawans have been deployed in different locations keeping an eye on the Republic Day celebrations on Sunday, an official said.
- Kerala landslide toll touches 18 as rescuers dig deeper
- Father’s responsibilities wouldn’t end at son attaining 18 years age: Delhi HC
- Weight loss & fad diets: Know the pros and cons before taking drastic steps
- Five natural homemade face packs for every skin type
- Plan to develop tourist circuit of places travelled by Srimanta Sankardev: Assam CM
- Assam reports 269 new COVID-19 cases