Charred bodies of Ishan Goswami (8) (left) and Iban Goswami (5) were recovered from the spot. Iban was celebrating his 5th birthday on Thursday Credit: Twitter

Guwahati: In the distressing fire incident in Guwahati’s Basisthapur area on Thursday, which claimed the lives of two brothers, sources in the state disaster management authority said that the fire may have been triggered by an LPG leakage.

To determine the exact cause of the incident, a four-member state forensic expert team visited the house on Friday. During the preliminary investigation, they collected pieces of evidence from the site including a piece of burnt electronic equipment, two pressure cookers, and one stove. The reports will be out once investigations are conducted in their headquarters.

The brothers — Ishan Goswami (8) and Iban Goswami (5) — were on the first floor of their residence when the fatal fire engulfed the building. It was Iban’s fifth birthday on Thursday, and a grand party was to take place later in the evening.

The first floor of the house was completely burnt during the incident

It has been suspected that the boys first suffocated to death and then burnt as they were found in a closed room, holding each other. They were taken to GMCH where there were declared brought dead and a post-mortem was conducted.

Also Read: Assam: Akhil Gogoi’s judicial custody extended by 14 days

When the incident happened, their mother, Shilpi Goswami, was reportedly not on the first floor, while her mother-in-law was on the ground floor at the time of the accident.

Currently, both are unwell and in a state of shock.

The two kids along with their parents in happier times

The boys’ father, Tushar Goswami, was on his way to Guwahati at the time of the incident. He performed the last rites of the brothers at Navagraha crematorium in Guwahati on Friday.

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply