Tinsukia: Two rebels of the All Adivasi National Liberation Army (AANLA) were arrested with arms and ammunition by a joint team of police, army and CRPF from a tea garden in Assam’s Dibrugarh district on Monday.
The militants have been identified as Romen Urang, 25, and Deepok Borah, 26 — both hailing from Jorhat district.
Speaking with EastMojo, Dibrugarh SP Sreejith T said that based on a tip-off about movement of armed militants, a search operation was launched on Monday morning in the general area of Sepon tea garden under Moran police station. “During the operation, two persons were apprehended and upon search arms and ammunition were recovered from them,” he said.
“The recoveries include two pistols (one .22mm and one .32 mm ), two magazines, 13 rounds of live ammunition , two pairs of combat uniforms, two green belts, three extortion notes and a mobile with SIM card,” he said.
Sreejith T also said that a case has been registered at Moran police station under Sections 120B/121A/122//387/511 IPC r/w section 25(1-A) Arms Act 1959 r/w sec 10/13 UA(P) Act 1967.
According to sources, interrogation of both rebels is underway. “Once the interrogation is completed, more details will emerge,” the SP added.
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle
- Mizoram: 808 grams of Heroin seized, one arrested