Agartala: In the ongoing sixth session of the 12th Tripura Legislative Assembly, the resolution to increase the seats of Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) from 30 to 50 was unanimously passed .
The TTAADC presently has 30 seats out of which 2 are nominated by the governor of Tripura from the different tribal communities.
After increase the seats the number would be 50 of which six seats would be reserved for nomination by the governor of Tripura.
In a private member resolution moved by the BJP MLA, Arun Chandra Bhowmik sought the support of the government and all the MLAs so take the initiative to increase the seats of the TTAADC for the public interest.
The resolution was passed unanimously in the assembly on Friday.
Tribal affairs minister Mevar Kumar Jamatia said that the resolution was the need of the hour as no such initiatives were taken by the previous government in the last 35 years of their ruling.
The government had also approached the Centre with approval to elevate the TTAADC to Tripura Territorial Council (TTC) on November 15 last year. The TTC will ensure direct funding, autonomy, and more power to the body to exercise in the council.
The TTAADC is spread into 68% of the total geographical area of the state and is home to over one third of the total population of Tripura.
- Nagaland Lottery October 26: Check Dear Teesta Morning lottery result
- National Film Awards: Sikkim is India’s ‘Most Film Friendly State’
- US to lift travel restrictions for fully vaccinated foreigners from Nov 8
- Heroin worth Rs 8 crore seized in Assam, 2 arrested
- Arunachal Pradesh reports 16 new COVID-19 cases
- Assam govt to review Pollution Control Board order restricting fire crackers