Tinsukia: A 32-year-old man accused of allegedly raping a minor girl, who later attempted suicide by consuming poison, was nabbed from Assam’s Dibrugarh town within hours after the incident was reported, police officials said.
The incident took place in the intervening night of Friday and Saturday at Borhat in Charaideo district and was reported at 10 am on Saturday by victim’s mother.
The accused had been sexually molesting the victim, working as a part-time domestic help at his home, for the past few months, according to revelations made during interrogation. The accused, who hails from Narem Pathar adjacent to Sewali village in Charaideo district, is the publicity secretary of the district committee of a peasant organisation.
Speaking with EastMojo, Charaideo SP Anand Mishra said that the trauma the victim was suffering for months seemed to drive her to commit suicide on Saturday. “A special operation team (SOT) was immediately launched to nab the accused, who was on the run by then, after the incident was reported to the police,” he said.
The team, with help of cyber cell, traced the last location of his mobile phone before he switched it off. “The team focused on all the phone numbers that were called by the accused in last 24 hours and finally traced the location of every phone number. A pattern was studied based on their movement and the last location of the victim and finally the team narrowed his movement to a location in Dibrugarh town,” Mishra said, adding: “The human intelligence which was already on the job spotted the accused near a hospital and arrested him.”
According to Mishra, the victim has confessed to the henious crime and revealed that he was raping the minor for the past few months. “The minor, who at times had to stay at the residence of the accused, corroborated the revelation and suggested that she took the extreme step because she could not take the trauma anymore.”
“In this connection, Borhat police has registered a case under section 376 of the IPC read with Section of 4 of the POCSO Act and has started investigation,” he added.
According to sources, the victim was referred to Rajapukhuri civil hospital in Sonari where she is reported to be stable.
The programme officer of the State Child Protection Society, Assam, Nasifa Ali told EastMojo that to curb the heinous sexual violence on girl child apart from prevalant laws and regulations, family — as the first institution — has an eminent role to play. “Children are considered to share the first close bonding with parents and guardians and then with teachers,” she said.
Kids’ natural curiosity and talkativeness can seem like an annoyance to busy parents but it is an important trait that should not be stifled. “Parents should carefully listen to every minute detail children share about their daily experiences to protect their gullible childhood from anything that sounds alarming,” she added.
Secondly, said Ali, it is very important that parents as well as teachers tell children about good touch and bad touch and also about the body parts that should never be touched by anyone. “This practice of discussion about touch must be frequent at home unless parents are sure that their child have become aware and bold enough to speak out about it if they feel any unpleasent touch, harassment or if anyone takes any unpleasent photo. This can be very helpful to curb sexual violence at the very first stage before it becomes too late.”
Meanwhile, SP Mishra has instructed the team to complete investigation and file chargesheet at the earliest.
Additional director general of police (law and order) GP Singh tweeted: “Well done Team Charaideo. Please take it to logical conclusion with proper investigation. Such criminals should get quick and sure punishment in accordance with law.”
- Taliban issue no-shave order to barbers in Afghan province
- India records 18,795 new COVID-19 cases, 179 more deaths
- Former Pak captain Inzamam-ul-Haq undergoes emergency angioplasty
- Afghanistan, Myanmar will not address UN General Assembly: UN official
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action