New Delhi: In a fresh turn of events, the four convicts of the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case will now be executed at 6 am on February 1.
The fresh death warrants issued by a Delhi court are dated to exactly 14 days from Friday, in accordance with a law that states convicts to be executed must have a reprieve from the time their mercy plea is turned down.
The four convicts — Mukesh Kumar (32), Vinay Sharma (26), Akshay Kumar Singh (31) and Pawan Gupta (25) — were to be hanged on January 22 at 7 am in Tihar Jail. However, this wasn’t possible due to a mercy petition filed by convict Mukesh Singh.
The 23-year-old victim was gang-raped and tortured on December 16, 2012, which later led to her death. All the six accused were arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder. One of the accused, a minor, appeared before a juvenile justice court, while another committed suicide in Tihar Jail.
- Empowering older workers amid an ageing workforce
- Assam Cong announces state-wide agitation from Oct 3 against power tariff hike
- Tripura HC stays Trial Court ruling against WhatsApp
- Is it normal to forget words while speaking? And when can it spell a problem?
- How to effectively manage methane emissions from Indian landfills
- Should people who are forced to cross borders due to climate change be recognised as refugees?