Imphal: Various drivers’ associations based in Manipur’s Senapati district have imposed an indefinite economic blockade on the Imphal-Dimapur road along National Highway (NH) 2. The decision was taken following the state government’s failure to dismiss Th Hitler Singh, an ASI of the state police department, from his service within 48 hours after his misbehaviour with a truck driver was caught on camera and widely circulated on January 14.
The three organisations, Senapati District Truck Drivers’ Association, Senapati District Drivers’ Union and Senapati District Driver’s Welfare Union, took the joint decision to impose an indefinite economic blockade during a press conference held at the Senapati district headquarters on Thursday.
Soon after the January 14 incident, the drivers’ unions had given 48 hours’ ultimatum to the state government demanding termination of ASI Hitler’s service from the Kangpokpi police reserve line.
In a memorandum which was submitted to chief minister N Biren Singh, the unions claimed that the police officer had resorted to such heinous and undisciplined behaviour to truck drivers passing through Kangpokpi on several occasions earlier.
The unions also warned a total economic blockade along the national highway, which is the lifeline of the state, if the government fails to act and meet their demands.
In the video which went viral on social media, ASI Hitler was seen assaulting a truck driver Dale of Kapao village at Kangpokpi Bazaar. Later, the police officer was also seen threatening the driver with his service revolver in the middle of the highway in broad daylight.
Following the video footage which was captured by some onlookers went viral on social media; the police officer was put under suspension for further investigation.
Check out the video:
- Scientists need help to save nature. With a smartphone and these 8 tips, we can get our kids on the case
- Scientists find tailor-made pocket feature shared by coronaviruses causing severe disease
- More than a story of treasures: revisiting Tutankhamun’s tomb 100 years after its discovery
- China holds first meeting with 19 countries in Indian Ocean region sans India
- Legislature, executive must enable liberty, equality, fraternity: CJI
- Guwahati: Assam down town University hosts HR conclave