Imphal: In yet another major development in curbing illegal activities in Manipur, troops of Assam Rifles under the aegis of HQ IGAR (South) recovered contraband items worth Rs 1.97 crore at Khudengthabi check post in Manipur’s Tengnoupal district on Wednesday, said officials.
During a search of vehicles at the check-post, the team stopped a Maruti Suzuki gypsy on suspicion and recovered heroin weighing approximately 394 grams worth Rs 1.97 crore in the international market.
The search was carried out based on specific information received about the contraband items being transported in the vehicle, an official said.
Two individuals — identified as Suantak Letminlen Vaiphei, 28, and M Thenmang Haokip, 23, both residents of Moreh — have been arrested in this regard. The arrested men along with the recovered contraband items have been handed over to Moreh Police Station for further investigation, officials said.
Meanwhile, the armed forces also seized smuggled areca nuts valued at over Rs 1 crore from Sekmai area of Thoubal district on January 14.
While carrying out a thorough search on three trucks on suspicion, the troops recovered 442 bags of areca nuts worth Rs 1.35 crore, reports said.
Six persons, including the three truck drivers, have been arrested and handed over to the customs and excise department in Kakching district along with the recovered items for further investigation.
- DRDO hands over to MSQAA authority holding sealed particulars of Akash missile
- 3 Chinese astronauts return safely after completing six months mission
- Netflix’s Lady Chatterley’s Lover reduces this tale of class conflict to a simple love story
- RBI likely to moderate interest hike: Experts
- Ventilation reduces the risk of COVID. So why are we still ignoring it?
- Does fake behaviour strike a chord with the corrupt?