Guwahati: It’s almost confirmed that the state unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will fight the ensuing assembly elections under the leadership of Ranjeet Kumar Dass again as the stage is all set to announce his reappointment as the party chief for the next three years.
Sources in the state unit of the BJP informed EastMojo that till the completion of last date of filing of nomination papers, which got over at 4 pm on Friday, only Dass filed the papers for the post. His name is now likely to be declared unopposed by the party for the post soon.
Dass will be reappointed as president of Assam unit of the BJP on January 18 as his term got over on December 16 last year.
A legislator from the Sarbhog constituency, Dass was elected as the Speaker of the state legislative assembly when chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal took charge in June 2016. However, the BJP national leadership wanted Dass to take charge of the state party. He resigned from the post of Speaker in December 2016 and assumed the role of party president in January 2017.
- BJP MLA writes to Nadda, demands separation of Darjeeling from Bengal
- Centre to appoint CS with working knowledge of Mizo language: Zoramthanga
- Repeal AFSPA, deliver justice: Kohima residents take to streets
- AFSPA misused, should be repealed: Arunachal Congress MLA Ering
- India talks ‘unprovoked’ aggression by China along border at ‘2+2’ with Russia
- Teaser of Puneeth Rajkumar’s dream project ‘Gandhada Gudi’ released