Kokrajhar: At a time when the Saoraigwra faction of the National Democratic Front of Boroland’s (NDFB-S) leaders are stepping towards peace process with the Centre under the leadership of its supremo B Saoraigwra, a member of the banned insurgent group was killed in an encounter with the Army at Dekadambra near Digli under Bishmuri police outpost of Assam’s Kokrajhar district on Wednesday.
According to Army sources, after receiving specific information, troops launched a surveillance cum ambush operation in Kokrajhar district on Wednesday. Around 2 pm, a suspected armed individual was spotted near Dekadambra.
On being challenged by the Army unit, the individual opened fire and tried to run. The Army team retaliated by opening controlled fire, thereby exercising right of self-defence, in which the militant was hit. The individual, later identified as self-styled area commander of NDFB(S), Jewel Narzary alias Tamang alias Jwnwm, succumbed to injuries shortly thereafter, said an official release.
A hardcore insurgent, Jwnwm was allegedly involved in several cases of extortion, recruitment of new cadres and anti-national activities.
During the search of encounter site, a foreign-made 9 mm Glock pistol, two magazines and ammunition were recovered from his possession.
- Faith-based schools less favourable towards education of girls: UNESCO
- Centre must extend retirement age of ‘Agniveers’ to 65 years: Mamata
- Sri Lanka exploring options to purchase oil from Russia: Minister
- Arunachal: IFCSAP welcomes Droupadi Murmu’s selection as prez candidate
- Centre using its agencies against those speaking the truth: Mamata
- Arunachal Speaker P D Sona assumes office as president of NERIPSTR