Imphal: In a major development of law and security in Manipur, armed forces carried out multiple operations and arrested three active members of banned Manipur-based militant groups, according to reports.
In the first instance, a joint team of Assam Rifles under the aegis of IGAR (South) and Imphal West commandos based on certain intelligence inputs of the presence of militants conducted search operation in Imphal West district and arrested two active members of the proscribed PREPAK (VC), including a woman, it said.
As per reports, the arrested rebels have been identified as self-styled SS Private Hijam Abe alias Ichal Leima and self-styled SS Lance Corporal S Tombi Singh.
In the second operation, a combined team of Assam Rifles and Manipur Police arrested one active member of the banned militant group, United National Liberation Front (UNLF), from Thoubal district.
The arrested rebel has been identified as self-styled SS Private Ningthoujam Shambi Singh alias Itocha.
All apprehended individuals have been handed over to the police for further investigation, reports said.
According to reports, the operations were carried out as part of security measures in Imphal and elsewhere ahead of the Republic Day celebrations. The operation was also aimed to prevent any disruptive activities by banned-militant groups in the state during the event.
- Murky water: Meghalaya MLA goes all guns blazing at minister
- GoPro Hero 10 Black launched. Check specifications, price, more
- Nagaland Lottery September 17: Check Dear Hooghly Morning lottery result
- Congress celebrates PM’s birthday as #NationalUnemploymentDay, Twitterati play along
- Modi calls for SCO template to fight radicalisation, extremism
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises