Biswanath: An unusual gesture by two of Assam’s senior BJP leaders — Tezpur MP Pallab Lochan Das and minister of state for health Pijush Hazarika — to some anti-Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) activists in Biswanath district on Monday afternoon has raised many eyebrows.
Both the BJP leaders reached the office of the Biswanath Chariali municipal board on Monday noon. Soon after spending sometime in the office premises, Das and Hazarika were surprised to witness protests outside the office.
As soon as the information of the visit of the two BJP leaders at the office of the Biswanath Chariali municipal board went public, anti-CAA protesters, mostly from All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) and Assam Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) gathered in front of the office and registered their protest against the Centre’s move on CAA by showing black flags to the BJP members.
However, to the utter surprise of many, both the leaders came out openly and did a ‘Namaste’ with bowed head to the protesters.
The BJP leaders visited the municipal office to take stock of the preparation as the party is organising a peace rally in Biswanath on January 7.
- Arunachal Pradesh reports 319 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths
- Nagaland Lottery August 5: Check Dear Padma Morning lottery result
- COVID-19: why you still need to wash your hands
- ED slaps Rs 10,600-cr FEMA contravention notice against Flipkart
- Nagaland reports 145 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths
- Prashant Kishor quits as Punjab chief minister’s principal advisor