Shillong: A 16-year-old girl was allegedly raped by seven persons in a village in West Jaintia Hills District on January 1 this year. Six of them have been arrested, of which two are said to be juveniles.
While speaking with EastMojo, West Jaintia Hills District SP Lakador Syiem said, “The victim is traumatised and is still under treatment. We are yet to ascertain the details of the incident, neither have we been able to understand if the accused were under the influence of alcohol since they were arrested 24 hours following the filing of FIR.”
Syiem further added, “Of the seven accused, six have been arrested, while one is absconding. Of these six, two are juvenile.”
The incident occurred on the night of January 1 when the victim was taken to Ialong Civil Hospital for treatment. The relatives of the victim filed an FIR against the seven accused after the crime took place.
The investigating officer of the case, DySP (crime), CW Lyngdoh informed that out of the seven accused, five hails from the same block. Four of the accused have been identified as Ribah Phawa (31), Libim Phawa (20), Mehi Dkhar (22), Kermiki Shylla (18). The names of the remaining two have been withheld as they are minors.
The police said that the accused have been booked under various provisions of the POCSO Act. Meanwhile, Syiem informed that he had already spoken to chairperson of the State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) in Shillong and the chairperson of the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) Jowai to provide assistance to the rape victim.
- RBI cautions against fraudulent offers of buying/selling old notes
- IndiGo starts operating flights on Imphal-Shillong route
- Mizoram churches condole death of Assam Police personnel in border clash
- Won’t allow illegal coke factories in East Jaintia Hills: MLA Kyrmen Shylla
- Independent committee to probe ‘rice scam’: Meghalaya govt
- Boundary row: Mizoram Youth Congress seeks President’s intervention