Guwahati: Sahitya Akademi Award-winning writer and former director general of Assam Police Kuladhar Saikia was elected as the president of Assam Sahitya Sabha, the apex literary body of the state, on Thursday.
Saikia won the top post by securing 269 votes. The results were declared at Hojai Girls’ College Cultural Complex by the election committee of the literary body.
While the vice-president’s post was won by Mrinalini Devi, who is also the mother of Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, by securing 308 votes; that of secretary-general was won by Jadav Sarma, who secured 323 votes.
Assam Sahitya Sabha announced the results for the elections to the post of its president, vice-president and general secretary for the term 2020 to 2022.
The election process was conducted under the supervision of a three-member committee comprising former Gauhati High Court Justice Biplab Kumar Sarma as the chief election officer and senior advocate Bijon Kumar Mahajan and SP Roy as the members.
- What’s behind Russia-Ukraine tensions?
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for Dec 8
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for Dec 8
- Assam report 150 new COVID-19 cases, one death
- 273 new COVID-19 cases in Mizoram
- China says US diplomatic boycott violates Olympic spirit