New Delhi: Six-time world champion MC Mary Kom beat Nikhat Zareen in the final round of the women’s boxing trials of the Olympic qualifiers on Saturday.
The Manipur boxer beat her younger opponent in the 51 kg category. Mary Kom will now represent India in the Tokyo Olympic Qualifiers to be held in Wuhan, China early next year.
Earlier on Friday, while Zareen defeated reigning national champion Jyoti Gulia, Mary Kom thrashed Ritu Grewal’s challenge in a unanimous verdict (10-0).
The bout was keenly watched as the two boxers had had some nasty verbal exchanges in the past few months over the legitimacy of a trial and each other’s boxing prowess.
- Top 5 Anime and Manga theme attractions in real life you didn’t know about
- What position should I sleep in, and is there a ‘right’ way to sleep?
- Survey suggests developing bicycle rental system in Kolkata
- DGCI allows Serum Institute to export malaria vaccine to UK
- PM Modi declares 36th National Games open in glittering ceremony
- Arunachal: Historic Dornier 228 aircraft to Ziro makes successful landing