Agartala: A 29-year-old man was thrashed to death by an irate mob for allegedly stealing cows in Sepahijala district of Tripura in the wee hours of Sunday.
Speaking with reporters, Sonamura sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Souvik Dey said that Matin Miah was lynched by angry villagers after he was allegedly caught with two cows at Gourband area.
“Two complaints have been registered with the Sonamura police station both by the families of the deceased and by a local resident, Tapan Bhowmik, clamming that his two cows were stolen,” Dey said.
A mob of angry villagers apprehended Matin Miah with two cows in the wee hours of Sunday before becoming violent. He was later admitted at Melaghar Sub-Divisional Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries, the official said.
“Matin’s father, Shafique Miah, lodged an FIR against two persons for ‘murdering’ his son by thrashing. A second FIR was lodged by Tapan Bhowmik about cattle lifting from his house,” said sources.
According to sources, Matin Miah had a history of cattle lifting. However, cops are investigating the case.
- Naga Students’ Federation condemn Athuan Abonmai’s murder
- Nagaland gets first child-friendly court at Wokha
- What’s all the hype around Garena Free Fire Max about?
- Yemeni officials: Clashes over key city kill 130 fighters
- Top Assam Maoist Tingraj Orang surrenders
- Centre extends nationwide COVID-19 containment measures till Oct 31